Nisaa provides counselling through three mediums face-to-face being the most prominent, but telephonic and e-mail counselling services are also used. We thus reach a wider spectrum of people.
We are able to provide these services to women and their children for free.
Some of the additional assistance offered to clients are highlighted below:
- Assistance in acquiring legal aid whereby Nisaa can refer clients for legal assistance in custody battles, divorce and other issues;
- Assistance in the application of protection and maintenance;
- Assistance in obtaining Identity Documents and birth certificates from the Department of Home Affairs, most especially when certain requests by the Department cannot be met (for instance proof of place of birth);
- Nisaa works closely with the Department of Social Development in the application of grants for our clients;
- Nisaa advocates to the Department of Housing for our clients to be first priority for getting a house or temporary accomodation.
Tshireletsong – Place of safety
Tshireletsong is a place of safety or a shelter. We offer accommodation to women whose lives have been affected by domestic violence. We are also able to accommodate their children. Girls of all ages are accepted with their mothers however there is an age limit of 12 years with regards to the boys that are accepted into the shelter with their mothers. Our bed capacity is 22. The women are allowed to stay at the place of safety for a period of three months. For this reason we are considered a crisis shelter.
Our shelter clients receive counseling and other support programs including:
- We advise clients about the option of protection orders and how to go about applying for them.
- We advise and support women with id applications, birth registrations and grant applications.
- We provide lifeskills programmes such as parenting, self esteem, crisis intervention, healthy cooking, decision making and making better choices.
- We have a support group that is conducted from the shelter.
- We also provide skills development programs from the shelter which include sewing, card making and bead-making projects.
- The children are also offered support through counselling, educational outings and activities, support with school curriculums and play therapy amongst others.
- Information sessions about HIV and AIDS, and sexual reproductive health issues, and domestic violence
Nisaa has developed working relationships with a number of stakeholders. For instance should a client require legal advice, Nisaa has working relationships a number of legal advice organisations and law firms. Thus we are able to make referrals to other helpful organisations who would understand the plight of an abused woman.